Pages

34-Book I Read in August

October 11, 2012


  1. The Turk and my Mother-Mary Helen Stefaniak
  2. Girl, Interrupted-Susanna Kaysen
  3. Are You There Vodka? It's Me, Chelsea-Chelsea Handler
First off, I want to mention that I get most of my books from thrift stores. This means that (most of the time) I have no idea what these books are actually about and buy them because a) I like the cover b) I like the author c) The synopsis sounds cool.
I kept seeing The Turk and my Mother every time I went to the store and finally decided to buy it. I'm glad I did because I really enjoyed this book. This is a collection of stories, spanning four generations of a family, and there is everything from forbidden love affairs to people who come back from the dead. I totally recommend it.
The book I least enjoyed this month was Girl, Interrupted. This memoir chronicles Susana Kaysen's two years in a psychiatric hospital. I don't want to say that it was a bad book, because it's not a work of fiction, but it was just not my cup of tea.
The last book I read in August was Are You There Vodka? It's Me, Chelsea. Like her other books, this is a collection of anecdotes. I liked this book a lot more than My Horizontal Life: A Collection of One-Night Stands , which is her only other book I've read. If you like Chelsea Handler and comedy, you might like this book.

As a side note, I don't think I'm actually going to meet my goal of reading 50 books this year (I still need 15!) and that makes me really sad. Between work (I finally have a job, but let's not go there), school, and family I have no time to read.:/

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS